Network with your fellow ISEs in the LA-OC. Find out how IISE can facilitate your professional goals and how to get Involved in any of your chapter’s activities. Chapter Officers will be there to answer questions. See you there!
7631 Edinger Ave
Huntington Beach, CA
September 22, 2016
Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m.
RSVP [ https://www.meetup.com/iie-los-angeles/ ]
IISE joined a conglomeration of 14 or so engineering societies, INCOSE, SWE, IEEE to name a few. This event is a group effort to promote STEM to high school students.
Curious students, 40 to 60 high school and college students, attended this event eager to learn about the latest update with the Mars Rover. They definitely took home knowing more about the latest space explorations and more. Various professional societies met and greeted these students including ours. About one-third of the kids made their way to our table greeted by our board members, Kaz, Linda and, current IISE LA-OC President, Maryam. The common questions from these kids was “What IE is about?” The members took turn answering their inquiring minds, and Kaz even gave a 3 min quick presentation introducing the IISE LA-OC chapter.
This certainly a step towards making IISE LA-OC get recognized by our local community. Through this, the members were able to network with fellow IE attendees as well as public and private organizations. Looking forward to “drawing more attention” at the next STEM/outreach events. Stay tune for our next e-newsletter.
Learn more about IISE LA-OC [iise-brochure].
The IISE LA-OC will embark on creating a productivity index calculation that will serve our local businesses around the Greater Los Angeles Area affected by the logistics and transportation industry.
We are doing this to leverage available logistics and transportation data and to provide a leading indicator like the LoDI Index to help the surrounding organizations make informed decisions on capital expenditures or other investments.
In order to move forward, we need data analytics volunteers. Setting up the infrastructure, conducting source data research, pulling data from various sources, completing data analysis are just some of tasks. Take this opportunity to hone and apply your skills in data analytics for a greater impact.
We will present our feasibility study to the council of fellows on May 2017.
If you are interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Industrial engineers here in Los Angeles and Orange County are encouraged to share and publish successful project implementation, improvement and involvement in emerging design and innovation. Doing so will help us grow our profession locally and globally.
For first time authors, get started by reading the guidelines provided below from the managing editor of ISE Magazine, Michael Hughes:
- Submissions should range from 1,500 to 3,500 words and be noncopyrighted, original work.
- We encourage thought leadership pieces, articles that examine current and future trends in areas of interest to industrial and systems engineering research and practice, and papers that take a how-to tone and give practical ways to help our readers make improvements in their professional lives.
- IISE prefers submissions written in third-person narrative that concentrate on process, not products.
- Graphics, charts and photos are encouraged but not mandatory. ISE magazine generally includes a maximum of three to four graphics per article.
- Submissions should be written “magazine” style as opposed to the academic format, with subheads of words, not numerals. As an example of how our articles differ from a journal, see the following: Lean I$ Not Cheap
- ISE is a practitioner magazine, not a journal. As such, our writing style is more geared toward the “real-world” and less technical than journals.
- Deadlines are two months in advance. For instance, anything received by July 1 could be considered for September’s issue, by Aug. 1 for October’s, by Sept. 1 for November’s, and so on.
Read in depth the author guidelines for ISE magazine.
IISE Supports You
Join IISE to take advantage of benefits that will enhance your professional development. As a member, you can:
- Gain leadership experience through planning committees, societies and divisions, and more.
- Save with significant member-only discounts on IISE conferences.
- Learn new skills and techniques either online or in-person with trainings in IISE’s Training Center, offered to IISE members at a special discount.
- Hear about innovations in implementation and teaching at conferences, and learn invaluable knowledge. Members enjoy significant savings!
- Establish yourself as an expert by becoming a presenter at an IISE conference or in an IISE webinar, or getting published.
- Connect with colleagues to share ideas, solve problems at your organization or receive career advice.
- Stay informed of developments in the field through the award-winning member magazine, the website and members-only newsletters.
Join more than 8500 professionals all over the world who belong to IISE for exceptional member benefits!
Visit the iienet2.org for more information on how to join and other value adding resources.
Online Membership Application
PDF Membership Application – IISE 2016
Full list of IISE Membership Online Benefits
Career Resources (interview tips, career profiles, etc.)
Come join us in this STEM outreach hosted by IEEE and INCOSE. Learn the latest about “Curiosity,” the Largest Mars Rover (a “Mini-Cooper” on Six Wheels!) carrying Advanced Science Experiments!
Visit our IISE booth and get a chance to score some free items and enter to win some raffle items as well. You and your high school and/or college kids are welcome to attend.
WHEN: Saturday, September 10, 2016
TIME: 1pm to 5pm+
WHERE: S-Café at Northrop-Grumman, Redondo Beach
(South of Marine Ave @ Simon Ramo Drive (@ Dead End))
COST: FREE (Parking & Admission)!
NASA-JPL Curiosity Mission Engineer (Charles Baker)
RSVP [ http://mars5.eventbrite.com ]
Share the flyer [ 091016 Rover & Expo Flyer ]
An opportunity for participants to get the “big picture” of Lean Healthcare then with context, discuss local issues and improvement challenges with other frontline “warriors.”
In 2014, The White House President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology issued the so-called PCAST report recommending using Systems Engineering for the highly complex challenges in modern healthcare, stating: “…Systems Engineering know-how must be propagated at all levels [of healthcare]” and “Implementation of [systems engineering] bears potential not only to improve the efficiency of [health] care delivery, but also to improve its quality.” Download the entire Flyer for details.
Preview: Strategic Partnership of Healthcare and SE
RSVP through Eventbrite
Tuesday, July 26, 2016 from 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM (PDT)
Loyola Marymount University – 1 Loyola Marymount University Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90045
Lunch will be provided.
RSVP through Eventbrite
We have the opportunity to invite vendors to demo their products using an actual case study. This is a great way to introduce our members to the latest ISE tools available. The tools can aid us in time study, simulation, planning, leveraging macro in excel just to name a few.
There are currently 5 vendors interested in presenting a case study on the application of their products, namely:
- Qi Macro
This is open to local vendors interested as well.
To kick this off, decisions from the BOD are needed to decide on the following:
- Specific Date of event (January/February 2017)
- Venue with presentation and remote access capability if possible
- Marketing Strategy
- Refreshment options
- Six Sigma Training session (before or after)
We are now T-7 months before this event. If you are interested in volunteering and assisting with the committee in charge of the abovementioned, kindly email email@example.com.
Summer student internship opportunity with Nellson Nutraceutical Company, Anaheim, CA and Irwindale, CA Facilities.
The job requires skills on the following:
- Productivity Analysis
- Root Cause Analysis
- Work Measurement and Simplification
- Aid in Lean implementations
This is a paid internship.
Send resume directly to Luis_Armendariz@NellsonLLC.com